- Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- Under the Eye of God by Jerome Charyn
- Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliot Chaze
- Snitch World by Jim Nisbet
- Others of My Kind by James Sallis
- The Maid’s Version by Daniel Woodrell
- 3 Steps to Hell by Arnold Hano
- Dead Lions by Mick Herron
- Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives ed. by Sarah Weinman
- Laidlaw by William McIlvanney
The king of noir Woody Haut picks the best of 2013. His list and other favorites you will find at Los Angeles Review of Books.
»And that’s a little bit depressing sometimes. When you get to page 100 and something and you say, «I think I can use ten of these.»«
Twists within Woodrell’s fiction: A fine interview with writer Daniel Woodrell (latest novel: The Maid’s Version) at The Bat Segundo Show. Listen to the Podcast at Reluctant Habits.
»A bildungsroman wrapped inside a detective puzzle, tracing the odyssey of a town and a family across three generations, The Maid’s Version affirms Daniel Woodrell’s unique niche in American literature.«
Fraught bonds of community: Wendy Smith about the ninth novel The Maid’s Version by Daniel Woodrell. Her review at The Washington Post.